Friday, March 25, 2016

The Shelf

 One of the hardest things about having to move across continents after Rob's death is how, while settling into our new home, his stuff didn't have to be unpacked.  His shoes weren't lying by the front door, his keys not hung on a hook, his coat not flung over a chair.  Those little pieces that made him still so present in our house in Germany weren't in the new home and it didn't make it any easier.  Instead, it made it feel more empty. One of the first things I wanted to do when I moved into the new house was to have some sort of area where we could display all Rob's things so that his presence was in this house, but not in a heavy, sad way. I had a shelf custom made for the foyer of our upstairs and began adding to it very slowly.  The work was painstaking and emotional, so often it would sit for months until I was ready to try and tackle the project again.  I had help from Rob's parents and my mom, help from people who used to work with Rob, and support and encouragement from my kids.  Finally, I feel the shelf is finished enough to be able to share on the blog.  The only thing still missing are pictures of Rob with his kids, but going through photographs is still something that I am not able to do very well. I plan to hang a couple frames next to the shelf on the wall.  
    Thank you for always reading my posts and sharing in my grief.  He's been gone three and a half years, but the hurt is still just as fresh and raw.  
  Monday was Rob's birthday.  He would have been 44. 



Post a Comment

StatCounter