Thursday, March 15, 2007

TEN YEARS, BABY!!

We just hit a milestone in our Air Force career. On Tuesday Rob officially marked 10 years in active duty service. He celebrated by testing for tech on Monday (ever the party animal). Because his career field is merging, his test was PFE only (for you civilians just keep nodding and smiling and pretend) which they make harder since you do not have to take any tests on your SKT's. Even though he spent weeks studying and preparing it was a hard test, and he came home looking haggard and shell-shocked. He will not find out the results until summer, he said he did his best and it's in God's hands now. Recently Rob received his German ham-radio license. He will be getting a new radio soon and is really excited to try and organize and English speaking ham-radio club over here. He has connected with a few Americans living over here that are also licensed and hopes to create more interest in the hobby.
Another major development in the lives of Murphy's..... we're moving!! I did not want to post anything on this blog until we knew for sure, but now it is certain (and eminent!!) You may be reading this saying to yourself, "I thought she had just written that their time in Germany was extended?" You're right! IT WAS! Once we found out we were being extended here we put out feelers for a different house to rent. A couple from our church that is PCS'ing offered us first "dibs" on their house and we jumped at he chance. The NEW house has many pluses that will make this move totally worth it, but as it is with any amount of change there are certain comforts that we will be giving up when we leave here. We are trading our wonderful land lords for a property manager, cable modem for DSL, and the bedrooms are a lot smaller in the new house. On the flip side of that coin though we do gain about 11 square meters and I think it is probably all bathroom!! Those of you who have been to my house all just said, "Oh that's so great, they needed that!!" We also gain a yard that is all our own even though it is a little smaller. We will not be on such a busy street.. Oh and Rob wants to make sure I add that there is a deck right off the living room that looks out onto a beautiful hill where animals often run by, there he will sit with his German beer and a gas grill. The NEW house is just that, newer. There is a lot more natural light in it, a dishwasher (which I haven't had in 10 years), storage space, a driveway, and no lime green and yellow tile (although that's kind of grown on me now)
Now that is is official, we have signed the lease and given our current land lords notice, the kids and I are going to go there on Friday to visit with Amy and her kids. I have seen the house, but only at night, and so we are anxious to see the neighborhood in the day light. Hopefully she won't mind if I take some pictures to post on here. Our move is scheduled to take place the last week in April.
Another noteworthy change is something I have decided to take on. I know, I know many of you are shaking your headss because you have said that if I take on one more thing my head may implode! But this is different, this is just for fun and just for me (and maybe for Sarah a little bit, too). I am going to be a Stampin' Up demonstrator. You've all seen the cards I hand make and know that scrapbooking is a passion of mine. Maybe I can turn it into a lucrative business or maybe I will just fill out my supply closet... who knows? Right now I am just getting all the initial paperwork and ordering done. I do not plan to really make a go of it until autumn.
Speaking of autumn! There's more exciting news there! Recently both Rob's Mom (and husband, Lee) and my parents have purchased tickets to come and visit us this autumn! We are super excited to host them. My parents will be visiting for the 3rd time and Rob's Mom is making her debut in Europe!! Tickets are very reasonable right now (if I purchase them through a German travel agency over here) and I won't give you specifics, but let's just say that 2 tickets, round trip, with only one connection cost UNDER $1,000 (US DOLLARS!!). Not to tempt you or anything, but it is Europe. COME ON OVER!!
A fun story (and I hope she doesn't mind me sharing) but when I asked Rob's Mom, Ann, what she would like to see while she was over here she replied, "Well, I would like to see at least one castle." Umm, yeah, I don't think that will be a problem!! (those of you stationed or having ever been stationed understand that)
So a busy autumn for us, but the kids are beside themselves with excitement! We want to show Ann and Lee the Bavarian Alps near Austria; and with my parents we plan to drive to the North. My Dad will visit the region where he was born and grew up for the first time since he was 10 years old. Amazing.
One thing their visits do effect though, is our school. We are going to try our best to finish up this school year (Sarah, 6th and Noah, 2nd) by the end of May, maybe early June. We will take about 4 - 6 weeks off and then start the next school year mid to late July so that we can take lots of time off when the grandparents are here. We are still going to use the Abeka curriculum, but we are switching over to a DVD program for Sarah. It is quite a bit more expensive, but we feel it will be well worth it for her. Next year Noah will be a third grader and Micah will start the Kindergarten curriculum so it just didn't seem like I would be able to divide my time fairly and equally between the 3 of them. That's not fair to Sarah, she is always sacrificing one-on-one learning time with me because her brothers need more attention. She is incredibly independent but the subject matter is getting too hard for her to try and accomplish all on her own. We think that the DVD will help us find a good balance between still being an independent home schooler, yet having professional instruction as well.
Well, that's all the time I have for today. As you can see we are still keeping busy and happy and healthy. I will try to post some pictures this weekend of the new house and some of our adventures in packing. Thanks for reading and keeping up with our family.
Post a Comment

StatCounter